The Lost Art of Modesty

     The media puts such a push on being comfortable with yourself and loving how you look. I feel like most girls take that as they need to show off their body proudly and not be ashamed, and I just don't get it. I see nothing wrong with crop tops and leggings and bikinis, but I just don't feel that I need to wear that. I like to wear clothes that make me feel comfortable and represent who I am, I am the girl in the cat sweater and the one piece bathing suit. It bothers me that there are only two main sides to viewing conservative clothing and makeup. Either they think that I am not comfortable with my body or that I am a prude, when neither is true. I am completely comfortable in my body and with my face, I just like to wear clothing that covers my stomach and isn't too tight, why is that so weird? The same thing goes for my makeup.The reason that I wear makeup isn't because I don't like how I look, I just also like how makeup makes me feel sometimes. Somedays I wear makeup and somedays I don't, it depends on how I feel.
     I think that conservative people are becoming the minority. No I don't drink or smoke, no I don't show my stomach, no I don't cuss regularly. People take that as me being a stick in the mud that is scared of doing things. Why is it so weird for me to just not feel the need to do certain things? I am a modest person and my actions tend to be more conservative. I also love trying new things and taking risks. I will try any food once. I will do all kinds of things for an adrenaline rush. People put modest people in a box and label them when they don't need to be labeled. I don't need to be labeled. Just because I'm more conservative doesn't mean that I don't talk to other kinds of people. Most of my friends have very different ideals from me. Why must we label ourselves and assume things about people. Just let us do our own thing. Not all conservatives are the same way, and thats okay (rhymed).  I do believe that media is pressuring girls into thinking that being comfortable equals showing everything off. Being comfortable with yourself means just that, being able to wear clothing that makes you feel at home. Why wear something out if all you will be thinking about is what others think of you? Clothing should represent who you are, not what society tells you that it represents.
xo

Comments

Popular Posts